What platforms and devices are supported?
Online Browser Requirements for the 2018-2019 School Year:
For the best online reading experience:
- Internet Explorer: 11 and up
- Edge: 14 and up
- Chrome: Latest version
- Firefox: Latest version
- Safari: Latest version
Offline Device Compatibility for the 2018-2019 School Year:
For the best offline reading experience, install the MackinVIA™ app on your mobile device.
The MackinVIA™ app is available for:
- Android devices: OS 5 and up
- Kindle Fire tablets: 5th Generation and newer (OS 5 and up)
- Chromebooks: Latest version of Chrome
- iPads, iPhones, and iPods: OS 10.0.1 and up
- Mac desktops and laptops: 10.8 and up
- Windows desktops, laptops and tablets: 7 and up
Please Note: Digital audiobook downloads are restricted to mobile devices; offline use is not compatible with desktops and laptops.
In May 2016, Google announced its intention to bring the Google Play Store to the Chrome OS platform. This means that Chromebooks with recent updates to Chrome OS version 60 and above, as well as all of the newest models of Chromebooks, can now support the installation of Android apps. This development affects the MackinVIA platform in the following ways:
- The MackinVIA Chrome app will remain available for older models of Chromebooks that cannot install Android apps.
- Offline reading will not be available through the MackinVIA Chrome app. A network connection is required to access materials.
- Newer models of Chromebooks should install the MackinVIA Android app from the Google Play Store.
- Offline reading is available through the MackinVIA Android app.
Click here for helpful information about which Chromebook models currently support Android apps. Click here to read the original announcement from Google. Click here for additional information for education administrators about Chrome OS version 60.
Mackin’s development teams have spent a significant amount of time researching possible solutions and other options to support older versions of Chromebooks. In our research, we have not been able to find a solution for offline reading. The local file system on Chromebooks with older architecture is inaccessible to our application. We apologize for this inconvenience, and we will continue to look for a solution to work around the issues with older Chromebooks.